ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS
ABOUT THE COURSE
Root Cause Analysis (RCA) techniques provides a structured methodology to identify the root cause(s) of a failure, this avoids re-occurrence and ultimately improves business performance. Based on over 20 years of experience in the high consequence sector we have studied multiple failures closely in order to develop our unique, yet simple, approach to applying RCA. This training enables delegates to confidently and correctly apply RCA to problem solving.
This course has been designed to help delegates deliver continuous improvement and cost savings.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
• Plant Managers
• Engineering Managers
• Production Managers
• Maintenance Managers
• Maintenance Engineers
• Operations Engineers
• HSE Managers
MAIN LEARNING OBJECTIVES
• Appreciate the value of identifying the root cause(s) of a problem, rather than just the symptoms.
• Understand failure modes and what affects performance.
• Able to utilise Root Cause Analysis (RCA) to correctly identify underlying issues and management failures.
• Able to apply RCA to different types of problems using both uni-causal and multi-causal approaches.
• Develop structured and established approach to problem solving.
• Implement an approach which enables both effective business decision making and yields continuous improvement.
• Learn from root cause failure case studies.
• Consider stakeholders such as vendors, contractors, and subject matter experts in eradicating failures.
• Reduce and eliminate failures, thereby preventing injuries or damage to the environment.
Able to measure performance and key success factors.
• Produce a personal improvement plan.
DURATION, PREPARATION & MATERIAL
This is a 2-day course that will include practical exercises and an assessment. Copies of the programme materials will be provided and delegates will receive a certificate of attendance upon successful programme completion.
• Understanding the business context – drivers and enablers
• Defining root cause and root cause analysis
• Root Cause Analysis approach
• Fault tree analysis
• Learn to find the latent roots responsible for the breakdown
• Setting a root cause analysis team
• Understanding the roles that people typically play in problem solving
• Gathering information
• Preserving failure data
• How can failure be prevented in the future?
• Address challenges of the root cause analysis investigations
• Root Cause Analysis (RCA) tools and techniques to troubleshoot
• Applying root cause analysis techniques to real life problems
• Conduct a real-life cost effective root cause failure analysis
• Identifying common Root Causes and implementing corrective actions
• Requirements for analysis failure modes and their effects
• Report writing
• Monitoring performance
• Continuous improvement
• Evaluating corrective action effectiveness
• Inspection caveats
• Developing a personal improvement plan
ASSESSMENT & CERTIFICATION
Assessment: End-of-course examination.
Certification: Certificate awarded on successful completion of the course.